skip to primary navigationskip to content

Staff and Volunteers Privacy Notice

This page provides information about the use of personal information while you are a member of staff or volunteer at the University of Cambridge Graduate Union, and how we share your data with the University of Cambridge. As a member of staff, trustee or volunteer(or equivalent) you also have certain legal and contractual responsibilities to protect the personal information of other people (e.g. other employees, students, research participants) by handling it appropriately;

1. What is ‘personal information’?

‘Personal information’ means any information which relates to or identifies you as an individual.

2. How does this webpage relate to other information about data protection?

When you applied to become a member of staff , trustee or volunteer (or equivalent) you were told how the Graduate Union would use your personal information during the recruitment process and for related purposes. In addition to the information published here, when you use specific services and facilities offered by the University, you will be told about any other uses of your personal information. For example, there are separate statements for staff who engage with the Occupational Health or the Childcare Office, and individual Departments may supplement this webpage with more specific information.

3. Who will process my personal information?

The information published here applies to the use, sharing and disclosure of your personal information by the University of Cambridge Graduate Union with the University of Cambridge.

4. What personal information will be processed?

The Graduate Union will keep a record of the details you provided on your application/ nomination, any supporting documents requested and additional details provided by any referees and recorded following any interview process. We will maintain various administrative and financial records about your relationship with the Graduate Union. Where relevant, we may supplement these records with personal data from the public domain (e.g. your publications) or other sources.

Your personal information is created, stored and transmitted securely in a variety of paper and electronic formats, including some information that are shared between the Graduate Union and the University. Access to your personal information is limited to staff who have a legitimate interest in it for the purpose of carrying out their contractual duties, and our use of your personal information will not be excessive.

In addition to this, the Graduate Union may process some information about you that is classed as ‘sensitive’ or ‘special category’ personal data, and which requires additional protections. This includes information concerning your ethnicity, sexual orientation, religious beliefs or health/disability for planning and monitoring purposes, or in order to provide care, help or suitable adjustments. For certain roles, other sensitive information may be processed, such as information about past criminal convictions, working with children or vulnerable adults, and your fitness to practise in certain regulated professions. Access to, and the sharing of, your ‘sensitive’ personal data are controlled very carefully. You will normally be given further details about our use of any such data when we collect it from you.

5. What is the purpose and legal basis of the processing?

The Graduate Union will process your personal information for a range of contractual, statutory or public interest purposes, including the following:

  • To assess your suitability for a particular role or task (including any relevant right to work checks).
  • To support you in implementing any health-related adjustments to allow you to carry out a particular role or task.
  • Where relevant, to monitor, evaluate and support your work
  • To administer remuneration, payroll, pension and other standard employment functions.
  • To administer expenses or honorariums where appropriate
  • To administer HR-related processes, including those relating to performance/absence management, disciplinary issues and complaints/grievances.
  • To operate security (including CCTV), governance (including conflicts/declarations of interest), audit and quality assurance processes and arrangements.
  • To deliver IT facilities to you (see our own policies as well as the University Information Service; in addition, some IT services will supply you with extra service-specific information).
  • With the University,to deliver facilities (e.g. libraries), services (e.g. accommodation, childcare) and staff benefits (e.g. CAMbens, events) to you, and where appropriate to monitor your use of those facilities in accordance with University policies (e.g. on the acceptable use of IT).
  • To communicate effectively with you by post, email and phone, including the distribution of relevant newsletters and circulars.
  • To support your training, health, safety, welfare and religious requirements.
  • To compile statistics and conduct surveys and research for internal and statutory reporting purposes.
  • To fulfil and monitor our responsibilities under equalities, immigration and public safety legislation.
  • To enable us to contact others in the event of an emergency (we will assume that you have checked with the individuals before you supply their contact details to us).

We consider the processing of your personal information for these purposes to be either necessary for the performance of our contractual obligations with you (e.g. to manage your employment contract), or necessary for compliance with a legal obligation (e.g. the administration of taxes), or necessary for the performance of tasks we carry out in the public interest (e.g. non-statutory reporting or research). We require you to provide us with any information we reasonably ask for to enable us to administer your contract. If we require your consent for any specific use of your personal information, we will collect it at the appropriate time and you can withdraw this at any time. Where we ask for any sensitive information, such as that concerning your ethnicity, sexual orientation, religious beliefs or health/disability, you will normally have the option to refuse your consent by not supplying it. We will not use your personal information to carry out any wholly automated decision-making that affects you.

6. Who will my personal information be shared with?

Your personal information is shared as permitted or required by law, on a considered and confidential basis, with a range of external organisations, including the following:

  • Higher Education Statistics Agency (see HESA’s statement about the uses made by them of your personal information published at
  • Prospective and actual research funders, sponsors or collaborators.
  • The external providers of any staff benefits or pensions.
  • Where relevant and necessary, your own or other Colleges.
  • Relevant Government Departments (e.g. Department for Education, Home Office, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Department of Health), executive agencies or non-departmental public bodies (e.g. UK Visas and Immigration, HM Revenue and Customs, the Health and Safety Executive), and Higher Education bodies (e.g. Higher Education Funding Council for England, UK Research and Innovation).
  • Any relevant professional or statutory regulatory bodies (e.g. General Medical Council).
  • Any relevant simultaneous employers (e.g. NHS Trusts).
  • If you agree, the relevant trade unions.
  • On occasion and where necessary, the police and other law enforcement agencies.
  • On occasion and where necessary, auditors.
  • On occasion and where necessary, subsidiary companies of the University (e.g. Cambridge Enterprise).
  • Companies or organisations providing specific services to, or on behalf of, the University.
  • Cambridge University Students' Union and other student organisations where appropriate

We will provide references about you to external enquirers or organisations where you have requested or indicated that we should do so.

The University will include your basic contact details in our internal online directory, Lookup, though you can control how much information is accessible within the collegiate University ( You may also choose to include your email address in our external online directory as well as the Universities directory Jackdaw ( We expect staff to maintain a publicly available personal profile or webpage. Some information about Officers, trustees, volunteers and other staff may be published by us through various media.

On occasion, the above types of sharing may involve the transfer of your personal information outside of the European Economic Area (e.g. to report to an overseas research funder). Such transfers usually are necessary in order to meet our contractual obligations with you, and are carried out with appropriate safeguards in place to ensure the confidentiality and security of your personal information.

Other than as set out above, we will not normally publish or disclose any personal information about you to other external enquirers or organisations unless you have requested it or consented to it, or unless it is in your vital interests to do so (e.g. in an emergency situation).

7. How can I access my personal information?

You have the right to access the personal information that is held about you by the Graduate Union, and should email in the first instance. 

You also have the right to ask us to correct any inaccurate personal information we hold about you, to delete personal information, or otherwise restrict our processing, or to object to processing (including the receipt of direct marketing) or to receive an electronic copy of the personal information you provided to us. Please note that all of these rights are qualified in various ways.

8. How long is my information kept?

We store your personal information as part of your staff record for the duration of your employment (and it may be used as part of our assessment of any future application you make for further employment). After you leave certain records pertaining to your employment are retained indefinitely so that the details of your employment can be confirmed and for statistical or historical research. 

We traditional keep records of Officers, trustees, staff and volunteers. This normally takes the form of annual reports, letters, name lists and photographs. 

9. Who can I contact?

If you have any questions about how your personal information is used, or wish to exercise any of your rights, please contact

10. How do I complain?

If you are not happy with the way your information is being handled, or with the response received from us, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF (

11. Are changes made to this webpage?

This webpage was last updated in May 2018. It is reviewed when necessary and at least annually. Any changes will be published here and you will be notified via this webpage and/or by email.