Hire a gown from the GU Shop from only £7.50!
Buy a gown from the GU Shop for only £35!
Sell your gown to the GU Shop for £20!
Shop Opening Hours
For Shop opening hours please click here. Hours are subject to change so please check before each visit.
When You’ll Need a Gown
Students are required to wear academic gowns at various formal occasions. What classes as formal varies from college to college, though you will certainly need one for graduation, and probably for matriculation (the formal admission procedure) too. You may also need to wear a gown to attend ‘formal hall’ in your college and possibly on a limited number of other occasions too.
You can hire a BA Status or an MA Status gown from the Graduate Union for next to nothing.
To Hire a Gown
- See our Guide to Choosing a Gown to determine whether you require a BA Status or an MA Status gown
- Drop into the Shop or contact the Executive Administrator to order the appropriate gown, giving your height and the date(s) and times required. You will be advised of availability, hire fee and deposit, and collection and return dates and times
- Collect the gown from the Shop as instructed, bringing with you the hire fee (cash only) and a separate £50 cash deposit
- Return the gown to the Shop as instructed, and collect your deposit, subject to conditions
Please note we accept cash only.
- £7.50 day (collect between 9:30am–1pm or 2–5pm and return by 5pm the same day)
- £7.50 overnight (collect between 2–5pm and return between 9:30am–1pm the following working day)
- £7.50 weekend (collect between 2pm–5pm Friday and return between 9.30am–1pm Monday)
- £25 week
When you collect your gown you will be required to leave a £50 cash deposit and to sign the following agreement:
The full deposit is returnable if the gown is returned in the same condition, and by the time and date agreed. You will be charged £50 to replace the gown should it be lost or damaged beyond repair whilst in your possession. You will be charged for any professional repairs required, should it be damaged whilst in your possession. You will be charged an additional £7.50 for every 24 hour period (or part of that period) the gown is returned late. Any payment(s) required will be taken from your deposit.
To Hire Other Items of Academic Dress
The Graduate Union hires out gowns only. For other items of academic dress, such as a hood, please visit the University’s Gown Rental or Purchase page for details of local suppliers.