The Graduate Union
The Graduate Union (GU) is the University-wide representative body for graduate and mature undergraduate students at the University of Cambridge, and is one of the only students’ unions in the UK that works exclusively with graduate students.
The GU is run by a Board of elected sabbatical and student officers, and in the interest of representing graduate and mature undergraduate students, our focus is on four key areas: representation, services, welfare and events.
- The GU takes concerns raised by our members to a wide range of University committees, acting as the graduate and mature undergraduate student voice.
- The GU actively pursues campaigns on issues which affect our members.
- At our centrally located premises we offer an excellent range of facilities as well as some essential services to help you through your studies.
- You can book a room at the GU for meetings and events.
- The Students' Unions' Advice Service, run jointly by the GU and CUSU, offers free, confidential and independent support to all University of Cambridge students.
- We put on a wide range of fun activities and events during term time and vacations.
- We publish a free handbook for freshers and an online weekly bulletin and offer many opportunities for graduate and mature undergraduates to get involved.
The GU belongs to you and welcomes your input and suggestions.
Objectives of the Graduate Union
The main objectives of the Graduate Union are stated in its Constitution. These objects are the advancement of education of graduate students at the University and any other persons who are members of the Union by:
- promoting the interests and welfare of graduate students and other members of the Union, and providing support and advice to them
- being a recognised representative channel between graduate students (other than those who are not members of the Union) and the University and bodies external to the University
- providing social, cultural, sporting and recreational activities and forums for discussions and debate for the personal development of graduate students and any other persons who are members of the Union
The GU therefore focuses on four main areas: